Tuesday 6 August 2024

Tewkesbury Abbey and Long Compton Church

Uh hello. I don't expect anyone to be here. I really don't know where I've been. I have no excuses.

I have no idea how these will turn out as I'm without my normal software,

Tewkesbury Abbey is now one of the finest Parish churches in the country and most of the church survives. The lady chapel was quarried for stone but the town bought the rest for £453.

The church was started in 1102 and nearly completed upon consecration in 1121. You can easily spot its Norman origins.

After the battle of Tewkesbury in 1471 the lancastrians sort refuge in the Abbey but the yorkists led by Edward IV forced entry. The resulting bloodshed caused the Abbey to be closed for a month until it could be purified and reconsecrated.










I'm staying at Long Compton and walked down to the church of St Peter and St Paul








No comments: