Saturday 24 August 2024

The suffolk coast

 I recently spent a day on the Suffolk Coast. I haven't been for a number of years but I am there for longer next month.

Anyway one of the days I started at Dunwich.

Dunwich was a thriving town of 3000 people at the time of the Domesday book with 3 churches.  In the thirteenth century a  combination of storm surges and coastal erosion means washed most buildings away and today it is a small village. About 8 churches have disappeared. 

It needs to be noted that storms alone didn't destroy the town. According to wikipedia ;) it developed as a sheltered harbour where the River Dunwich entered the North Sea. Coastal processes including storms caused the river to shift its mouth 2.5 miles (4 km) north to Walberswick, on the River Blyth. The town of Dunwich lost its raison d'etre and was largely abandoned. Sea defences were not maintained and coastal erosion progressively invaded the town.

Still there is a sizeable medieval town under the sea.

The ruins of the friary.



I wandered down to the beach. At one point passing the last grave yet to fall into the sea.






Apparently Dunwich has lost 8 churches to the sea and it is ironic that for a time Dunwich had no church. The current one is Victorian. This is the leper chapel its a pity this fascinating building didn't survive to become the parish church.



I wandered to Dunwich Heath for lunch and walked across the heath where i found a Dartford Warbler! 


I went down to the beach and to Minsmere. I had no big lens and didn't do any birdwatching just wandered but heard Bearded Tits. 

The view back to Dunwich Heath


Then on to Leiston Abbey. Leiston was originally at Minsmere which I guess I knew but had forgotten! 






The "new" buildings are due to farming and a Christian retreat. 




No comments: