Friday 19 February 2021

Wandering around

Well we are still here. I hate to use phrases like the end is in sight but the vaccine rollout is going at a gallup, I was shocked to get invited to have the jab and now have my date for Jab 2! We can but hope.

I am spending my time reading and walking. It will be nice to go somewhere different although I have found a few places around here I have never seen.

I had spotted a church nearby to Netteswell Pond and off I wandered. When I arrived I found that the church is redundant and is now but of a study centre. I'm not sure when it was built but it is medieval and a church certainly existed in 1177 when it was granted to Waltham Priory. When built it was isolated next to Netteswell manor. The manor is long gone and it is surrounded by houses. It  became a chapel of ease in 1964  to the new church of St Stephen in Tye Green and was redundant in 1978.

 

This is the clock tower. It was built in 1864 by the Revd Joseph Arkwright in order to ensure the punctuality of his estate workers.


I've driven past this sculpture many many times. It is called Solo Flight by Antanas Brazdys. I'd forgotten that this used to be in the Harvey Centre (many years ago).

Harlow New Town is really a conglomeration of villages. Where as Netteswell Church is surrounded by houses, Latton has been allowed some dignity in its surroundings. St Mary's Laton or St-Mary-at-Latton dates to the 12th century but bomb damage in 1945 and was hit by fire in 1964 and therefore completely restored in 1965 

"The restoration of 1965, designed by Laurence King, has given the church a clean, modern appearance." According to the church website!





Just along the road is Our Lady of Fatima a Roman Catholic Church. I've actually been in that one and it had some modern glass. Photos wouldn't have been appropriate.

This was on a garden wall!


Pony!

We had some snow and here is the view from the M11 bridge.









The ducks didn't like it when the ponds froze





I felt for the poor ponies out in the cold on the common.



2 comments:

Roy Norris said...

Hi Pete.
Shocked to get invited for the vaccine.
You are older than you thought. :))
Great B&W scenes as always.
Stay safe out there.

quacks said...

Hi Roy

alas it was due to type 2 diabetes... only thing its done for me LOL