Tuesday 27 July 2021

A visit to Dorset

I spent a few days in Dorset earlier this month. It's a nice part of the country but one I haven't visited for a while. So here are some of the places I went to.

Wimborne is a small market town (15000?) in Dorset. It has the feel of a small cathedral city which is highlighted by its fine Minster Church of St Cuthburga and King Ethelred I (Alfred the Great's brother)  was buried there. The church was remodelled and rebuilt by the Normans between 1120-1180. It contains the tomb of John Beaufort and Margaret Beaufort, their daughter is relatively famous and was the mother of Henry VII.

 

Kingston Lacy was built between 1663 and 1665 by the Bankes family who had previously lived at Corfe Castle. Mary Bankes had defended the castle through two sieges before it was slighted in 1645 by Parliamentary forces



Sherborne is a small market town (9000 people) that like Wimborne feels like a small Cathedral city. 

My first stop was Sherborne Old Castle built by Roger de Caen, Bishop of Salisbury and Chancellor of England in 1120.

Then into town

Sherborne Abbey. It has been a Saxon Cathedral 705-1075, a Benedictine abbey (998-1539) and since 1539 a Parish Church


In 1592 Walter Raleigh persuaded  Elizabeth I to let him lease the Castle estate and rather than refurbish the castle he built the Lodge which has become known as the New Castle and now just Sherborne Castle. The castle is not open at the moment so I wandered around enjoy the grounds and reading my book. There were lots of Grebes on the lake and I saw a Scarlet Tiger moth. 




The excellent Churches Conversation Trust had two local churches so off I went.

All Saints, Nether Cerne

The church is in a very isolated and picturesque positionAll Saints' has a stone tower topped with pinnacles and vigorously carved angel-gargoyles. Inside is an unusual melon-shaped twelfth-century font bowl, probably from an earlier church here.

St Edwold, Stockwood.

St Edwold's is 15th century and is very small measuring only 9.1m by 3.9m. It sits in wooded valley with a footbridge leading to the tiny church and farmhouse. The porch and bell turret was added in 1636.   



I have been stuck on 891 for flipping ages on my church list! 

I had contacted the only church around here I need (well there are 2 but the other is shut and unsafe :( ) and was told it was open and someone was willing to show me around! 

I was early and the church was proudly open :)

So 892 St James, Kingston

There was a medieval church here but in the 19th century Lord Eldon decided to commission the architect George Edmond Street to design a new one. The cost of £70,000 is rather amazing! Alas the old church is now a private residence. The parish had hoped to buy it as a village hall alas...

And I was told the organist was coming up and he could take me up the tower! The views were amazing.


Corfe Castle in the distance and the island to the right is Brownsea.

 


 Corfe Castle



And my final visit to a National Trust property I have never been to! Clouds Hill which belonged to T E Lawrence you know Lawrence of Arabia fame. The property is tiny! 2 up 2 down. There is no toilet or Kitchen. Lawrence used it mainly as a place to read and write whilst at Bovington Camp. Interesting place.






 

3 comments:

Dave said...

Great photos. Dorset is a really interesting county and often overlooked. It used to be described as a place you passed through on the way to Cornwall.

Roy Norris said...

Hi Pete, touring Dorset, great choice.
Superb Monochromes ass always.

quacks said...

Both I am really sorry for the late replies

Dave/Ray. I don't visit Dorset enough and I'm not sure why that is. There are lots of places I still want to visit so will go back again fairly soon. For instance I want to do the walk out to St Aldhelms head, visit Portland Castle and go back to the Cerne Giant.

And thank you for the kind words.